St.Mary’s Forane Church, Pallippuram is an ancient church of Kerala which is dedicated to Our Lady of Assumption. It is believed that the church was built during AD52 . It is the first church in asia that build in the name of Mother Mary. It is the parent church of all the churches in cherthala and vaikom taluk. The holy cross that was built by Saint Thomas has been kept here. Saint chavara has studied in the seminary associated with the church and was the vicar of the church. It is the only church in which saint chavara served as a vicar.The miraculous picture that was portrayed by saint luke is placed on the altar of the church
During 1795 Thachil Abraham Malpan started pallippuram seminary. Saint chavara studied in pallippuram seminary for eleven years. After the construction of new seminary in mannanam on 1831. The pallippuram seminary was stopped and the students were moved to mannanam. The seminary was rebuilded later
Palackal Thoma Malpan who is the founder of CMI was a member of pallippuram parish. During 1818 he became the rector of pallippuram seminary. Saint chavara studied in pallippuram seminary under the supervision of palackal thomamalpan. The teaching and the morales set by palackal thoma malpan influenced saint chavara a lot and it set the platform for his holy life. In 1841 Jan 16 Palckal Thoma Malpan got died and buried in the sanctuary of pallippuram church
Saint chavara was born in kainakary. When he was 11 years old Palackal Thoma Malpan found him and bring him to pallippuram seminary. Saint chavara studied in pallippuram seminary for 11 years from 1818 to 1829 under the supervision of Palackal Thoma Malpan. Te teaching and morale set by palackal thoma malpan during this period influenced Saint Chavara a lot and it set the platform for his holy life.
Saint chavara worked as a vicar for two years from 1832 to 1834 at pallippuram. Pallippuram is the only church in which aint chavara worked as a vicar. During this time saint chavara used a mammodessa thotty for baptism and it is made of a single stone. It is still kept in the church.